Kenneth Vercammen & Associates, P.C.
2053 Woodbridge Ave.
Edison, NJ 08817
(732) 572-0500
www.njlaws.com

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Making an Anatomical Gift in New Jersey

 Making an Anatomical Gift in New Jersey
This Document does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied upon as such. It is for educational purposes only. Your attorney can prepare a Living Will and  Medical Advance Directive

MEDICAL ADVANCE DIRECTIVE OF
                     ____________________________________
1. This document is prepared in accordance with the New Jersey Directives for Health Care Act.
2. While competent to govern myself and manage my affairs, I intend to exercise such legal rights as I may have to participate in decisions relating to my physical care and treatment or to make decisions to refuse care and treatment.
3. If I become incompetent to govern myself and manage my affairs or become unable to make or communicate decisions relating to my medical care and treatment, then this directive shall stand as my final expression of such legal rights as I may have to refuse medical or surgical treatment and to accept the consequences of such refusal, subject only to such limitations as may be imposed upon my exercise of these rights by the legislature or courts of the jurisdiction in which I am being cared for from time to time.
4. If I should suffer an incurable injury, disease, or illness certified by two physicians (one of whom may be my attending physician) (a) to be such as has resulted in permanent loss of consciousness or (b) to be such that the application of life-sustaining procedures would serve only to postpone my death and where my attending physician determines that my death is fairly predictable within what he or she considers to be a relatively short time as a consequence of such condition or related complications whether or not life-sustaining procedures are utilized, I direct that such procedures be withheld or withdrawn and that I be permitted to die naturally. By way of example and not by way of limitation, such procedures
  
1
may include repeated cardiac resuscitation and mechanical respiration, subject to my wishes expressed in Paragraph 6, below.
5. For purposes of my own care and treatment I direct that the artificial provision of nourishment or water for hydration are among such life-sustaining procedures which may be withheld or withdrawn, subject to my wishes expressed in Paragraph 6, below.
6. I hereby consent to the donation of my organs and tissues, including eyes, upon my death, for purposes of transplantation and research. Notwithstanding any directive contained in any other section of this document, I consent to the commencement and maintenance of any medical procedure necessary to evaluate, maintain or preserve my organs or tissues for purposes of donation, including, but not limited to administration of medication, mechanical respiration and artificial nutrition and hydration.
7. I hereby authorize the administration of pain relieving drugs even if they may hasten the moment of my death.
8. I do not wish to condition the effectiveness of this directive upon its conforming to any religious doctrines or beliefs to which I may be believed to subscribe unless such conditions are set forth in a writing which makes specific reference to this Advance Directive. I have not made such a writing in connection with this Advance Directive.
9. I have considered the possibility of limiting the effectiveness of this Advance Directive to a fixed period of time from the date hereof and have decided that it shall remain in full force and effect for as long as I may live.
10. I recognize that a time may come when I cannot participate in my medical care decisions (even if there are favorable prospects for my eventual recovery) and also that it is not possible for me to anticipate the very wide variety of medical decisions which may need to be
2
made in the future and to provide specific written directions. Accordingly, I appoint ________________________________________________________________ currently residing at ______________________________________________________________, as my Health Care Representative. Pursuant to 42 CFR Part 164.502(g), (“HIPAA Privacy Regulations") ____________________________________________________________ is entitled to act as my personal representative, and shall therefore have full access to my healthcare information for purposes of making the decisions described herein.
11. I hereby authorize my Health Care Representative to accept or reject life- supporting care and treatment on my behalf. I further authorize my Health Care Representative to plan and arrange for all medical care and related care and treatment on my behalf and at my expense. The directions of my Health Care Representative shall be binding in all respects upon all those involved in my care. My Health Care Representative and all those acting upon his or her directions shall be entitled to indemnification from my estate in connection with all claims asserted against him or her unless the directions given and relied on are wholly inconsistent with my intentions as expressed above.
12. This Advance Directive shall not be affected by my disability or incapacity or any doubt or uncertainty relating thereto.
Dated: _____________, 20__ ____________________________
Signed, published and declared by _____________________ to be his Medical Advance Directive in
3
our presence and, we thereupon at his request and in his presence, and in the presence of each other, subscribed our names as attesting witnesses and our respective residence addresses. To the best of our knowledge ____________________ is of sound mind and free of duress or undue influence.
____________________________ residing at ____________________________ _____________________________
____________________________ residing at ____________________________ _____________________________
[Health Care Representative not to act as a witness]
4

STATE OF NEW JERSEY )
) ss.:
COUNTY OF )
I CERTIFY that on _____________, 20__, _________________________________
personally came before me and he acknowledged under oath, to my satisfaction, that he (a) is named in and personally signed the foregoing instrument; and (b) signed, sealed and delivered the same as his voluntary act and deed for the uses and purposes therein expressed.
                                          _________________________
source http://www.njsharingnetwork.org/document.doc?id=198

No comments: